Monday, May 11, 2015

May 11, 2015 Change, Miracles, Mother's Day

Hello and Happy Mothers Day to so so so many of the wonderful Mothers that I love!

My Mothers Day started with giving a talk at Stanford. yes. at Stanford. It was intimating to say the least, but I found it a privilege and blessing to speak in front of so many brilliant people on such a special day.

#miracleshappen

Suzanne is getting baptized on Saturday!! After 22 years of searching, she has decided to be baptized. Sister Triana and I could not be more excited to be her guides. We love being missionaries and love seeing peoples lives transform as they apply the principles found in the gospel and put off the natrual man. 

Mosiah 3:19- For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father.


I have learned MANY things on this mission but something that has changed my life, and may seem like common or basic knowledge that you become who you want to become. No matter circumstance or position  you become what you want. 

That statement is something one of my previous companions said to me and I will never ever forget it. Although becoming what I want is something I have always been taught and even have told people myself but, It finally clicked. I can literally become who I want; And this morning during my personal study, more on this topic was relieved to me. Not only do I become who I want, but I can become that person when I want to as well. 

You may be laughing because it's so simple right? yeah, not for hard headed Sister Carter. 

I think about Suzanne and how for almost 70 years, lived her life the way she wanted, and now for some reason has now decided that she wants to change. This is a blessing and miracle, but maybe we can apply the principle of becoming who we want right now and choose to not put it off for later, no matter how convenient. 

I was reading a talk given by Clayton M.Christensen titled Why I Belong Why I Believe (which actually just helped to convert a U.S. senator). In this article he describes his reasoning for belonging to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as an organized institution. He says "because of the way the church is organized, it puts opportunities to help others in my path every day. It facilitates my efforts – and in some instances almost compels me – to practice Christianity, not just believe in it...and of course his reasoning for believing in the doctrines are because they are true.

He goes on to talk about how we help each other in the church, but also how we learn from each other. No person is greater than another. He describes and instance when he learned something from someone, who in other religions may be considered less than him because of his position in the church. He says "... about a decade ago I was serving as the bishop, or lay minister, of the congregation of college students in the Boston area. We had assigned a college sophomore to give a sermon about repentance in our service on a particular Sunday. I still remember his key point: “We often view repentance as a slow process. It isn’t. Change is instantaneous. It is not changing that takes so much time.” I had been struggling to overcome a particular bad habit; and I resolved that I would change my behavior right then and there – to quit “not changing.” Where else but in this church could a young, inexperienced student have taught a bishop such a profound lesson?"

Now back to my point--I have discovered that not only can I become what I want, but I can become that person when I want to. All of us can. Repentance is not slow. We can decided right now. Change is instantaneous.

Of course we are not perfect, we make mistakes. We fall and mess up, but we can get back up and try again, in that very moment. That is the miracle of repentance, and forgiveness. That is the miracle of the Atonement. 

I am grateful for my Savior in allowing me and all of us to try and try and try again. 

-I love the Lord, and you all!
Sister Carter

No comments:

Post a Comment