Sunday, June 28, 2015

June 23, 2015 Returning members

Hello :)

What an exciting time to be a missionary!

I've unfortunately gotten to the point of my mission when people ask me how long I've been out and after my response of 9 months, they say one of two things. . . "You're almost there!" or "You're almost done!"  With the excitement on their faces, I know they mean it in the sincerest of ways but I can't help but to be a little taken back.  "Yes! You're right", I will reply, but what a terrible thing for me to apparently almost be done.  Not only do I disagree, I'm not almost done.  I really just got started and still have so much to do/learn!!

This week was full (typical for Sisters Triana and I), but, a success came from a returning member!  Remember we call less actives returning members in this mission.  She lives in East Palo Alto and since I got to Palo Alto has been pretty flaky with us missionaries until recently.

Sometimes we would knock on her door and she wouldn't answer regardless if we knew shew as home or even if she scheduled an appointment with us and told us to come over. 

Image result for missionaries knocking on doors
". . . Sometimes we would knock on her door. . ."

 Every once in a while she would open the door and let us in telling us she is SO busy etc.

When we offered her service, her eyes lit up and she welcomed us back last week.  We have been going over regularly to help her fix up the guest home she has behind her house.

Through these efforts she has (at her own request) asked us to read the Book of Mormon to her.  So we read a chapter after every visit.  She then shares with us what she has learned from the chapter and we do as well.


Image result for book of mormon
"She asked us to read the Book of Mormon to her"





Just this last visit her last words were, "Y'all going make me come back to church!" in her bold, forward way (that's how she is all the time).  We then, lit up and replied "Yes! We hope so."

Although I am not sharing much of this woman's story, who she is, where she came from, her conversion etc., I will say, it's easy to pass judgement on someone and reason within ourselves as to why or why not they are coming to church.  But what we as members must do our best to keep trying to help others come back.  We can't stop.  We can't be judgmental, but we have to love them.

This woman has a testimony of the gospel.  If she didn't, she wouldn't have asked us to read the Book of Mormon with her.

This was a humbling experience for Sister Triana and I.

Also, I finished the Book of Mormon this morning again!

I know it's true!

Sister Carter

No comments:

Post a Comment