Wednesday, August 19, 2015

August 3, 2015 Insights from Book of Mormon study

Here are some insights from my study....
From the Book of Mormon: Ether Chapter 2
Verses 21-25

The Brother of Jared is building barges (boats) and he is trying to do as the Lord is commanding him, but he needs some help...

 21 And it came to pass that the brother of Jared did so,according as the Lord had commanded.

 22 And he cried again unto the Lord saying: O Lord,behold I have done even as thou hast commanded me; and I have prepared the vessels for my people, and behold there is no light in them. Behold, O Lord, wilt thou suffer that we shall cross this great water in darkness?

 23 And the Lord said unto the brother of Jared: What will ye that I should do that ye may have light in your vessels? For behold, ye cannot have windows, for they will be dashed in pieces; neither shall ye take fire with you, for ye shall not go by the light of fire.

 24 For behold, ye shall be as a whale in the midst of the sea; for the mountain waves shall dash upon you. Nevertheless, I will bring you up again out of the depths of the sea; for the winds have gone forth out of my mouth, and also the rains and the floods have I sent forth.

 25 And behold, I prepare you against these things; for ye cannot cross this great deep save I prepare you against the waves of the sea, and the winds which have gone forth, and the floods which shall come. Therefore what will ye that I should prepare for you that ye may have light when ye are swallowed up in the depths of the sea?

Sometimes, we are asked to do really hard things, things we don't' really understand. Not only don't we understand why we should do them, but we don't even understand how! Sometimes we really need help. Often, and even unintentionally we depend on our own wisdom, on our own knowledge. But let me just say, there is NO amount of grit and even own personal will that will help us accomplish pretty much anything. It is ONLY through the power, grace and love of our Savior Jesus Christ that allows us to be absolutely successful in this life. True success stems from knowing where all goodness comes from; and ALL goodness comes from God.

When we do seek help from the Lord, which often requires "crying unto the Lord" as the Brother of Jared did, we sometimes don't' get the answer when or how we want. We sometimes don't even get the answer we expect. 
Even after we have expounded all of our efforts, and have truly "done as He has commanded us" sometimes, the Lord, in HIS wisdom and mercy, lets us sit for a bit. He lets us think, he lets us decided, he lets us figure it out ourselves. Tough right? 

We have to trust that despite our own (selfish) desires, we have an all loving, merciful, knowing God who has our best interest at heart. He loves us and because he loves us, we must trust Him. 
Because "nevertheless, he truly will bring us out of the depths of our own seas."
Life is hard, but it is HE who has prepared a way. He will always prepare us and even more than that, He will always BE with us.
That I know. 

I love the Lord so much. I am so grateful that He is has provided a way in His everlasting love. I don't know much, but I have felt my Saviors love and can't deny that. 

-Sister Carter

No comments:

Post a Comment